Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

Money Making Life

Another week has come and gone.  I feel a little exhausted but happy about life at the present moment.  With the major summer events in the past I can turn my focus to making money and trying to get myself out of the small amount of debt I’m in.  In order to do this I have went back to the restaurant I used to serve at and asked if they needed help part-time on the weekends.  Come to find out, they did, and so I am back to serving on Friday and Saturday nights and a few Sundays a month to supplement my income.  My goal is to not use this money at all and put everything made from the restaurant into my savings account.  Moving all but depleted everything I had managed to save since my divorce so I’m anxious to get that back up where I have a little cushion.  It makes me feel a little foolish but at 25 years old I don’t have hardly anything.  I don’t mean material possessions.  I have plenty of things and clutter, but I don’t own a place to live and I don’t have anything saved to eventually own a place to live.  The only reason I own my vehicle free and clear is because I got it out of an insurance settlement.(I’m thankful, and do not plan to get rid of it until I absolutely have to!) 
I have witnessed too many people in my life who don’t think they really have to start worrying and being smart with their money until they are way older and then before they know it “way older” was their last birthday and they still don’t have anything to show for their hard work and the money they’ve made in their young adult lives.  If we don’t start saving or putting something back until we are 35+ then we’re going to have to work that much longer after the age of retirement to make up for it.  Pheeew… this is exhausting and a little stressful to think about, but now that I’m on my own and I don’t have another person working to provide for my household I feel an enormous weight on my shoulders to do this the right way and not ever allow myself to get behind or way under in debt.  BUT… there’s a catch to this idea and that is….. How do you save money if you barely make enough to pay your bills? 
I have a very hard time paying every bill I have and keeping groceries stocked in my cabinets.  The only thing I can think of is to work a second job on the weekends and hope that it’s worth my time.  Not the ideal situation but it won’t be forever. (I hope) 
I’ve also been giving a lot of thought to going back to school to start my masters.  I know that it’s something I definitely want to do, but it may have to be placed on the back burner for awhile until the financial status is a little better. 
Have a great weekend everyone!      

No comments:

Post a Comment